2023 is set to be another eventful year for both Malaysia and the rest of the world. Here are some of the major events we will be keeping an eye on.
– Umno to hold its annual general assembly in January after initially postponed in December.
– Selangor, Penang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Kedah and Perlis will be heading to the state polls.
– The Court of Appeal will hear Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor’s appeal against her conviction, 10-year jail sentence and RM970mil fine in her RM1.25bil corruption case on a solar hybrid project for 369 rural schools in Sarawak.
– Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s 1MDB trial resumes.
– The Malaysian football team is set to compete in the Asian Cup 2023 finals after a 42-year-hiatus.
– Law reforms towards the mandatory death penalty
– The Employment Act 1955 (Amendment 2022) will be implemented.
– Operations for the MRT Putrajaya Line Phase 2 are scheduled to begin.
– The world’s second tallest building, Merdeka 118, is expected to open mid-2023.
– A revised Budget 2023 will be tabled in parliament after the one tabled in October was never passed due to the dissolution of parliament.
– The coronation of King Charles III
– The Asian Games 2023 will take place in Hangzhou, China
– India is projected to surpass China’s population
– Indonesia’s Jakarta-Bandung high speed rail is set to begin operations.